Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Postcard


I have mixed feelings about art museums. On one hand, it's thrilling to be surrounded by the works of masters. On the other hand, I think art should be mixed up into our daily lives and something we surround ourselves with all the time. And, art is what we should create ourselves. We're all artists, not just the super-talented masters.

The American Folk Art Museum is one of my favorite museums to visit. I don't see many other visitors there, and perhaps that's because the MoMA is down the block. It's hard to compete with Picasso, Matisse, Van Gogh, and, Monet. When I visit the MoMA, I feel like a star-struck fan spotting a celebrity, but I don't feel inspired. When I visit the Folk Art museum, I can't wait to get out of there and make something myself.

This postcard from the Folk Art Museum of an American flag on a fence gate is on it's way to Estonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note.